Authorities in Philadelphia said they will resume arresting suspects for non-violent crimes, halting a controversial emergency COVID-19 arrest policy after a spike in thefts and burglaries, according to multiple reports.
The Philadelphia Police Department said on Friday that it would end the controversial policy imposed in March to minimize the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party (CCP) virus, the novel coronavirus that emerged from China late last year. Under the temporary policy, now revoked, officers detained suspects in certain property crimes only long enough to take their fingerprints and identify them, before letting them go with the intention of filing charges later.
Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said in a statement Friday, as cited by CBS Philadelphia, that the policy was envisaged as a temporary measure that would be adjusted as conditions changed.
“At the time of the change, the department was clear in that the list of offenses was subject to review and revision as conditions continued to evolve,” Outlaw said, CBS reports. “Predictably, conditions have, in fact, evolved in dynamic fashion. Accordingly, we have reviewed our current protocols and have made several adjustments.”
The policy change is driven, in part, by an increase in retail thefts at small businesses and in burglaries committed by repeat offenders, the department said in a statement cited by the Philadelphia Inquirer.