What you need to know before the open
Today's top story: Bank of England boss lowers Brexit job loss estimate
But the FTSE is expected to open higher, up 0.24 per cent at 7347. But it's a fairly flat morning for other European markets, with Germany's Dax likely to decline 0.06 per cent to 12,560 and the French Cac bound for a 0.04 per cent rise to 5,394, according to IG.
Asian tech shares were spooked overnight by a warning from Taiwan Semiconductor, the world's largest chipmaker, saying the market is slowing down. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan was down 0.8 per cent, weighed on by a fall in tech stocks. Japan's Nikkei regained ground to rise 0.1 per cent.
- Royal Mail – CEO Moya Greene has announced her retirement in September
- Reckitt Benckiser – the consumer goods giant provides an update for the first quarter today.
- Nintendo – the launch of a cardboard piano and fishing rod accessories to a two-week high on Friday.
- 10:30 – Bank of England MPC member Saunders speech
- 16:15 – European consumer confidence (April)
- 16:00 – Baker Hughes US oil rig count