War on Want: ISRAEL MUST END ITS ILLEGAL DETENTION POLICIES
Israel is holding over 6,000 Palestinians as political prisoners.
- 356 of the political prisoners are children under the age of 18.
- 427 of the political prisoners are being held in administrative detention, without being charged or standing trial.
- Human rights defenders, including journalists, lawyers, and NGO workers, are targeted with arrest and detention.
Israels detention policies and practices violate international law.
- Israeli authorities routinely transfer political prisoners from occupied territory into Israel, a violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention.
- Ill-treatment and torture are systematic and widespread in Israeli detention and interrogation centres, a violation of the universally binding prohibition on torture.
- The UK government has an obligation under international law to ensure that the Fourth Geneva Convention is respected by other signatories, including Israel. The UK also has third state responsibility to take action when a state breaches the universally binding principles of international law.